Buying Life Insurance for an Elderly Parent?
When an elderly parent relies on their adult children for support, the costs of medical bills, in-home or assisted-living care, and final expenses can add up, creating not only a financial burden for children, but an emotional one as well.
Having a life insurance policy in place can be one way of providing financial security and peace of mind for adult children. Not only will a life insurance policy provide financial benefits, but it can also be a source of emotional support for the family.
Here are some things to look for when purchasing a life insurance policy for an elderly parent:
- Type of coverage: There are different types of life insurance policies to choose from, including term, universal, and whole life. Which type of coverage you select will depend on the specific things you need to cover along with your available budget.
- Amount of coverage: Life insurance can be purchased to cover a wide range of financial needs, including any debts and funeral expenses, as well as provide financial support for the family after they pass. Create a list of how life insurance might be used to determine how much coverage to shop for.
- Premium: The older we get, the more expensive life insurance becomes. The health of your parents will also be a determining factor in terms of the life insurance premium. In some instances, your budget will decide how much coverage can be afforded.
- Age limit: Not all insurance companies will write a life insurance policy after a certain age. And those that do will have different rates based on the person’s age. This is why it is important to shop around for a proper life insurance policy.
- Additional riders: Many policies offer valuable riders that can enhance the life insurance policy for either the insured, the beneficiary, or both. A few rider examples include the ability to convert a term policy into whole life or living benefits that may be accessed while your parent is still alive.
- Cancellation policy: When considering a permanent policy such as whole or universal life insurance, review the cancellation policy carefully to determine what penalties, fees, and surrender values may be imposed.
When shopping for life insurance for an elderly parent, it is essential to consider the above points and thoroughly research different plans to find the best option. Doing so can provide the assurance that their needs and those of their family members will be taken care of, no matter what the future holds.
- Self-care tips for December
- Mastering the Mind: Techniques for Better Memory and Cognitive Function
- The Art of Productive Procrastination: How to Make the Most of Downtime
- Eating for Energy: Foods that Boost Your Stamina and Productivity
- How to enjoy and celebrate chilly, gloomy days
- Thriving in Your Golden Years: Strategies for Aging Gracefully and Vibrantly
- Best Dog Breeds that Suit Your Needs
- Reduce Stress: Develop Patience
- DIY Delights: Creative Projects for Seniors
- Coping with Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD)
- Long-term Health Benefits of Physical Activity
- How to Trim Down Hidden Costs of Flying
- Best foods for hydration
- How to Experience Positive Aging (8 Tips)
- How to Improve Your Health: The 5 Main Aspects of Wellness
- How much should you actually have in savings?
- Are you underinsured for your circumstances?
- How to Build Sustainable Wealth
- How to Maintain Our Body
- Enhancing Resilience as We Age
- The Body After 60: Overcoming Barriers to Exercise
- The best herbs to grow for beginners
- Foods you had no idea you could freeze
- Is celebrating your 100th birthday no longer a dream?
- Medicare and Medicaid: Dual eligibility
- Summer Workouts for Your Dose of Vitamin D
- What’s Keeping You from Losing Weight?
- Music and Your Wellbeing
- Your NEW Social Security Statement
- How to Dispose of Unused Medications
- Smart Home Systems: Promoting a Comfortable Environment for Seniors
- Aging and Our Body’s Ability to Heal Itself
- Keeping Health Insurance After a Layoff
- Waking Up to the Impact of Insomnia
- How Life Insurance Benefits Women
- What experts say about raising the retirement age
- Coverage for healthcare treatment denied? Here's what you can do.
- Sharing the Road with Cyclists
- Buying Life Insurance for an Elderly Parent?